Linggo, Agosto 12, 2012

There's no turning back~

Two months ago, I made a life-changing decision. I was never the same person since that day. I became a more compassionate eater by deciding to become "semi-vegetarian". I know in reality there is no such thing as being a semi-vegetarian. Its either you eat meat or not. There's no middle ground. Although, I think there is such a thing as a middle phase, wherein, you are not yet totally a vegetarian, but you're on your way there.

I accidentally stumbled upon a website promoting the pros and cons of going vegan. There were even videos showing the life of farm animals from birth till their last day on earth before they become red meat for human consumption. There are poor animals like male chicks that are tossed into a grinder alive since some commercial farms prefer to invest in raising female chicks over male chicks. Yes they become ground chicken meat, feathers, beak, and all after hatching from their shell for just a day. Its a different (and worse) story for cows and pigs, but I won't go into details.

That day I stopped eating pork and beef as my crossing over phase to becoming a full vegan, if and when I have enough guts to avoid all meats and dairy altogether. Now living on seafood, chicken and veggies, and I must say, its not so bad. I don't miss eating red meat at all. So since one source of protein was eliminated in my (and my mom's) diet, I started experimenting with a few new dishes. Tofu by the way is so versatile, that it's practically my new best friend. ;)

So far, I came up with some delicious dishes:
                                         

1. Tofu wanton rolls with red cabbage coleslaw and basil yogurt dressing


2. Steamed soy garlic lemon tilapia with mixed veggies (cauliflower, asparagus, string beans, shitake mushrooms, mustard leaves, and yellow peppers)*


*For full vegetarian version, replace fish with firm tofu squares

3. Stir-fried string beans and cauliflower with veggie meat patties and crushed peanuts



5. Veggie noodles carbonara (white sauce from scratch using soy milk) with yellow peppers and cauliflower


6. Chinese tofu dumpling salad with soy-sesame dressing*

*for full vegetarian version, omit hard boiled egg

7. Meatless-beef-less pepper steak (using veggie meat strips)


I also discovered a recipe for homestyle "bonchon" chicken. Its super good! But I forgot to take pictures of the dish. I will take photos of it the next time I prepare it at  home. 

If I knew that the journey towards "going vegan" will be this fun, animal and environment-friendly, not to mention healthy, I would have started much earlier.

For recipes just leave me a note. :)

  

2 komento:

  1. Sis! When did you ever become a vegan gourmet chef?!?! Share me your recipes ha especially your coleslaw, carbonara, basil yogurt dressing, and tofu wanton rolls! Miss you!

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Hi Sis!! :) Hahaha I was just so in awe of cooking with mostly veggies. Its healthy and super yummy! :) Sige Sis I will email you my make shift recipes. hehe

    TumugonBurahin